Monday, August 24, 2009

Amighetti's on the Hill

Sorry for the long absence. We just moved to St. Louis. More on that in a minute.

I know I promised a dissection of Feast's tasting menu, and I don't want to denigrate the (very good) food they serve by not discussing it in-depth, but it's already been covered by a number of good food writers- notably Frank Bruni and Food in Houston. I don't have a lot to add. The tasting menu was reasonably priced, with absurdly large (Texas-sized?) portions of each course. I had never visited an offal restaurant before, so every course held new and intriguing flavors for me. The pork rillons were particularly delicious, but my favorite course was the onion roasted inside crispy, seasoned chicken skin. So simple, but amazingly good.

On to St. Louis. I am (perhaps irrationally) VERY excited at the food possibilities in this town. My biggest complaint about Houston food last year was the lack of home-style, cheap Italian food, where they're at least cool enough to make their own pasta, along the lines of Denver's Romano's or Angelo's. Here in St. Louis, there is an entire neighborhood of Italian food. So far, I have tried Cunetto; the atmosphere and prices were good, but the food merely okay. I had the pasta with olive oil, garlic butter, and anchovies, and, although the sauce was nearly perfect, the pasta was quite overcooked.

Today for lunch, I had the lasagna at Amighetti's, even though I knew they are known for their sandwiches. My mistake. The portion size made it an excellent value, but it tasted like something I could have made at home without a recipe. I chose the full portion (under $7) rather than their "side" portion (under $5), figuring it would be meal-size, but it was more like three meals. Jon and I just ate the leftovers with an arugula salad and $5 nero d'avola (thank you, Trader Joe's) for dinner. For the record, Jon (who is food-apathetic, but a huge sandwich connoisseur) had their famous "Special Sandwich" at lunch and was unimpressed. Not bad, but I'll explore the other sandwich places on the Hill before returning.

3 comments:

Jon said...

First, you have also eaten at Anthonino's Taverna. www.anthoninos.com

Second, calling me food apathetic is wrong. I just get excited about different features of the culinary world than you do. I am excited at having a variety of Bosnian places to eat at.

Stephanie said...

Brian's aunt lives in St. Louis and has a few favorite Italian restaurants - remind me to ask and pass them along to you!

Gen said...

Jon,

Oops, I forgot about Anthonino's. Which is technically only half Italian (it's also Greek), but it's good enough to talk about. I'll cover it here the next time we go there.

As for apathy about food, hmm. I just meant you don't get very excited about most food, or of eating it, outside of several major categories- sandwiches, Chinese buffets, and Indian and Eastern European ethnic food. You also seem to like cupcakes, but I think that stems more from a desire to complain I don't make them enough than any actual passion for them.

Stephanie,

restaurant recs are ALWAYS welcome! I am so excited to discover a new city's food, and look forward to getting some Bosnian with you guys someday.