Thursday, October 8, 2009

Jewish Deli in St. Louis

For lunch, I had the soup and sandwich combo from Kopperman's Delicatessen in the Central West End, with an iced tea to drink.

They were out of chopped chicken liver already, so I had a corned beef on rye with spicy mustard.Probably slightly better for me than chicken liver, anyway. The meat for our sandwiches was freshly sliced, and the place was actually sort of posh as delicatessens go. The sandwich was delicious, and the rye was really nice- I usually eat rye only grudgingly, but theirs was flavorful without being heavy.

The soup selection was decent- I had meat-filled kreplach soup, while Jon tried their matzo ball soup. They were on the fluffy side, but not very exciting; to be fair, matzo balls are never exciting for me. They also offer a variety of other soups, along with chili.

The meal was perfect for today's cold and rainy weather, but I'm still on the lookout for a good bagel place. Although Denver's Bagel Deli has mostly average food, I do miss their garlic bagels and lox spread, and their chicken soup. I also miss the kitschy paneling they took out when they remodeled a few years ago, but that's another story.

No comments: