Friday, December 11, 2009

Light Lunch at Home

For lunch, I had smoked salmon, cranberry compote, and butter on a roll from Whole Foods.

The salmon is leftover tidbits that are getting old; the compote is basically thick cranberry sauce I made last night out of leftover Thanksgiving cranberries. I was curious to try WF's "seeduction" roll after some friends made a DIY version as part of their Thanksgiving dinner. The combination was pretty tasty. My inspiration was the Sironia turkey sandwich from the late, much-mourned JD's Art Cafe in Waco, TX (don't laugh- rumor has it JD was married to an amazing French-trained pastry chef, and I'll be trying desperately to track down her gorgeous cake recipes for the rest of my life). The Sironia was the historic building's name, and the sandwich was allegedly based on one served at a cafeteria in the building in the 1950s. I have no idea how I got smoked salmon and butter from turkey, cream cheese, and cranberry sauce, but whatever. I see the Sironia is back, in the form of an antique mall, apparently.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I haven't seen a roll version of the seeduction bread at my whole foods - just the loaf. But what did you think?

Gen said...

I liked it. I was a little weirded out at first- what is it full of, wheatberries?- but the odd crunchiness won me over. I'll have to look for the loaf version next time. I didn't see one, but I wasn't looking very hard, either...I was on a mission for persimmons. More about that later, hopefully :)