Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pappardelle at Home

For dinner, I had lemon pepper pappardelle with arrabbiata sauce, a glass of malbec, and zoolbia for dessert.

The pappardelle and arrabbiata came from TJ's. Both were ok. I dislike pepper, but it added a nice burn, without being overwhelming. Sadly, the arrabbiata, which I actually like overwhelmingly spicy, was not.

The malbec was also, come to think of it, from TJ's. It was Funky Llama malbec, $3.99, and actually good for the price, unlike the myriad other cheap TJ's malbecs I've bought recently...It's still a little watery, but the flavors are substantial enough- dry cherry with a little violet and maybe licorice.

On to the best part of dinner- ZOOLBIA!



Zoolbia kind of mystify me. I know what's in them, I know how they're made, but I still don't understand. Imagine funnel cake, but not cakey- translucent, crispy on the outside, syrupy on the inside, and soaked in honey.



They're apparently made by frying flour-based dough, then soaking the cakes in a honey-rosewater glaze. But I don't understand how the texture happens. I appreciate interesting texture in food, so these are really exciting for me.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've had the TJs lemon pepper papperdelle before too! I hasn't too big a fan of it, but maybe it was my sauce. I'll have to give it another try now.

Gen said...

It really does need something more. I wasn't liking it at first, either; even after the pepper flavor comes out, the lemon part is really lacking. Next time, I think I'd try adding some fresh lemon zest. Or maybe just stick with cheap whole-wheat pasta, and add some ground peppercorns and zest to that.

Anonymous said...

Jon says, "the water I cooked it in stank of lemon...maybe I overcooked it, losing the essence?"