Monday, January 9, 2012

Holiday Food Roundup, Part I

Over the holiday season, I had a lot of tasty, and/or bizarre, food. Here's a brief roundup, from the first part of my vacation.



I was tempted, but ultimately resisted, these freaky little things. I love red velvet cake (actually, one of my unspoken New Year's resolutions is to pin down a great recipe for the cake I so love), but this was just scary.

Instead, I had bread pudding French toast:


The location was Denny's, in case you were wondering. It was attached to our hotel, otherwise I wouldn't have been caught dead there. It's not snobbery, it's just that I don't remember eating at a Denny's without getting full-on, three-days-of-stomach-flu food poisoning. Not kidding; it had been ten years at least since I set foot in a Denny's. Thankfully, I emerged unscathed from this experiment. It was extremely dense, slimy yet dry, and strangely textured, but it didn't kill me. Success?

Once we got to Florida, I was intrigued by this bit of pretentiousness:


A "cranberry bog", from which you can fish your very own cranberries. Fresh Market kind of pisses me off for what they're up to in suburban DC, but I understand that they're a rare beacon of enlightenment in rural Florida. Still, pretentious.

Then there's the random office I visited with the in-laws. You know, you visit an accounting or legal office or whatever, and they ask you if you'd like something to drink? At this office, I was offered a menu:


Yeah.

No comments: