Saturday, October 4, 2008

Pelmeny at Home


For dinner, I had chicken, beef, and onion pelmeny, roasted butternut squash, and some prosecco.

The pelmeny were a holdover from my jaunt to Phoenicia. They were pretty good, if a little on the salty side. I was not in a very carnivorous mood this evening; I would probably have much better things to say if I'd been craving red meat. Also, I forgot to buy sour cream to go with the pelmeny, which made them kind of sad. Butter helped, as did the nice onion flavors in the pelmeny.

The squash was similarly meh. I've been craving Watercourse Foods' roasted and crispy squash hash, so I really wanted some good squashiness. It's also a harbinger of fall, so I figured it would make me feel a little better about it being October and still not cold enough to bring out the knee-high boots, scarves, mittens, OR sweaters...I really miss me some snow. It was tasty, but I never managed to get it crispy. It was a much smaller squash than I'd cooked before, so I think that was responsible for its overwhelmingly ridiculous sweetness.

Finally, the prosecco. Some random Italian stuff. I rarely drink prosecco, but where is all the good stuff hiding? I've had great prosecco in Italy, and that's about it. Maybe it's like Italian olive oil- they don't export the cheap good stuff, just the crappy cheap stuff and the expensive good stuff. This stuff is not awful, just kind of boring, with slightly sweet melon flavors.

Note: while looking for a blog post graphic, I learned that Paris Hilton's ridiculous prosecco-marketing ad campaign is the first thing that pops up on Google. Forget Italian export habits, it is clearly Paris that's ruined prosecco for America.

No comments: