Monday, October 27, 2008

Luling City Market BBQ in Houston

Please see amazing visual aid here. It is too large for my page, and I am computer illiterate.
For lunch, I had some brisket, a sausage, potato salad, and iced tea from the Luling City Market in Houston. There is an original location in Luling, TX, while this is their big-city outpost. It represents the "Central Texas style" of BBQ, whatever that means. It was nothing like Waco BBQ (which is frankly not very good, but makes up for it with kitsch and sheer quantity of food). Regional BBQ styles usually have to do with smoking wood (at LCM, oak) and sauce. Their sauce was strange. I'd classify it in the vinegar category, which seems to agree with what the map says. It just wasn't very pungent, very spicy, or very sweet; kind of nondescript.

The meat was so good! This is the best BBQ I've had in Houston by far, and the best sausage anywhere. (FYI, stay away from Goode and Co. I was shocked to discover how many people like their brisket while researching BBQ online. They're an awful Houston chain, and the reason I hated BBQ for the first eighteen years of my life.) Luling was so good, I proceeded to rhapsodize about my wonderful meal with a friend shortly thereafter. A friend who I cleverly forgot was a vegetarian. Oops. The brisket was a little dry in spots, but it had really nice texture and caramelization, and I appreciated that they trim off all the really fatty, gristly bits before weighing your meat. I found it delectable all by itself- BBQ sauce would've masked its meaty goodness.

The sausage was even better. I have no clue what was in it, I suspect all pork. It was very finely ground, mixed with spices, and contained within a crisp-cooked casing. It was clearly not healthy, and tasted amazingly rich, but did not ooze grease. I have very mixed feelings about eating pork, but it is so very good.

No comments: