Saturday, August 16, 2008

More Greek Food in Houston- Niko Nikos


For dinner, I had a Greek roast chicken half, with fries, tzatziki sauce, and a Red Stripe. The location was Niko Nikos, a Greek place on Montrose introduced to me by my lovely cousin Kristen. They recently expanded a bit, resulting in even more congestion despite more square footage and a larger parking lot. Their food is just that good.

The roast chicken was not quite as good as my fave Greek chicken place in Denver, Central II (by Swedish Hospital), but it was pretty good. Just your typical roast chicken with garlic, rosemary, lemon, and olive oil. Their fries were delicious, as usual, especially dipped in their yummy tzatziki sauce. They also make great oven-roasted potatoes with lemon and olive oil, although I did not have any tonight.

Likewise, the people-watching was fascinating. There was a Greek family eating near us that clearly had some drama going on (gesticulating hands, a little screaming), and a very Texas family consisting of overweight mom, overweight dad, and, sadly, overweight five-year-old girl. The food was a little heavy for the heat, but I'd been having a huge craving for their food since we moved down that had to be sated. I think it will be a nice go-to place for wholesome Greek food, although it lacks the charm and grease of a traditional Greek coffee shop.

No comments: