Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Orzo and Frozen Yogurt at Home


For dinner, I made some orzo with butter and parm. It went nicely with some leftover red wine and amazing Greek yogurt frozen yogurt.

I've never cooked orzo before, so it was quite exciting. Especially exciting was the fact that our spaghetti pot has a built-in colander that is generally very useful, but the holes are large enough for orzo to escape. Straining the cooked orzo was ineffectual, but I was able to salvage enough for dinner. I covered it with butter, kosher salt, and some Kraft parmesan cheese. Oddly, it tasted exactly like Kraft's Mac N' Cheese.

The best part, as is usually the case, was dessert. Greek Gods makes fabulous frozen yogurt! I think it's the best ice cream product I've ever had, and is slightly lower fat than real ice cream. My fave is the chocolate fig, so much so that I've never bothered to try their others (which include pomegranate and honey, and also sound tasty). The bizarre ad copy on their website includes these tasting notes:

"Greek Gods Chocolata Fig Pagoto Ice Krema is a rich unique blend of flavors. It combines our signature honey cream base with a mixture of pure fig and chunks of dark gourmet chocolate. The fusion creates a stunning flavor profile that has hints of butterscotch, fig, chocolate and nuts in a creamy and smooth delicacy."

I also learned from their website copy that the yogurt's texture comes from mastic gum...yum.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Wow, you really had me until "mastic gum". Sometimes I guess it's just better not to know...