Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tortellini at Home



For dinner, I had Buitoni's "100% Whole Wheat Three Cheese Tortellini" with marinara sauce from Alessi and Haagen-Dazs Chocolate Sorbet for dessert.

(On a sidenote, I had to Google "Haagen-Dazs" to figure out how to spell it, and it was not the first, second, or even third suspected spelling. And it's not even a real word, in any language. Somehow, this really bothers my inner grammar nazi.)

The tortellini was shockingly good, especially for something that contains a fearsome SEVEN grams of fiber per serving. I do like whole grain everything, but I'm a little skeptical of the alleged quantity here- not even scary, chunky, super-duper whole-grain bread has that much fiber. The packaging does not indicate the presence of added wheat germ (which could conceivably boost the fiber to that degree), only whole wheat flour and a little gluten. Does gluten contain fiber? The package also lists about thirty other chemical-ey ingredients, presumably to mask the flavor of real wheat. I do own a ravioli maker, but I am willing to ingest all this extra crap for convenience's sake.

The sauce was likewise very tasty. I have yet to try an Alessi product I don't like. They are made in Italy with relatively high-quality ingredients (olive oil only, yummy Sicilian tomatoes), and not as pricey as other imports. This sauce was $4.99/bottle. The only problem with Alessi is that their sauces are viciously hard to find, particularly in Denver. I went years without their sauces, only to discover them one night at Queen Soopers, hiding on the bottom shelf. Their puttanesca is also very good, if a little sweet.

Dessert was awful! I never thought anything bad could be said about Haagen-Dazs, but Haagen-Dazs and low-fat do not mix, apparently. I had intentionally avoided the fudge bars on the ice cream aisle, because they're disgusting. I would rather eat Adria's doggy ice cream, even the peanut-butter-and-cheese flavor she loves so much, rather than eat a fudgesicle. Guess what Haagen-Dazs Chocolate Sherbert greatly resembles? Yuck. I suppose I should have been put on notice by the term "sherbert", as this tends to denote a water-based frozen dessert, but the fact that it was Haagen-Dazs falsely reassured me.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Very interesting! I don't think I've seen the whole wheat tortellini - but the prospect seems a little frightening. I'll have to look for the pasta sauce at the Queen Soopers, (now that I know what that is!) because that's probably the only way I'm going to taste imported sicillian tomatoes!