Sunday, November 2, 2008

You can put ANYTHING on a waffle.


In the interest of the impending election, and general weirdness, here is a photo of the presidential candidates (and 'Ol Hillary) sculpted in hummus.


Today for lunch, I had an organic flaxseed waffle, toasted and slathered in lemon hummus. I was rushed, trying to prepare a butternut squash dish for my grandmother's birthday dinner. Lunch was an afterthought, prompted mostly by the annoying man blocking my path to the milk at the grocery store. While trying to squeeze by him, I happened to look over and notice about twelve different varieties of hummus for sale. Lemon hummus sounded interesting. I got home, and discovered I'd forgotten to buy anything to dip in it- no bread, no pita, no tortillas. The only breadlike substance in the house was flaxseed waffles.

It was interesting. Not bad, a blend between sweet and savory. The lemon flavors bridged the gap between the salty hummus and the slightly sweet waffle very well. Something about it was a little off-putting, but I think it was more the concept than the actual flavors or texture.

The most exciting part of the evening was my grandmother's mention of her Meyer lemon tree in the backyard. Her backyard is amazing- I am already lusting after her persimmon crop in a few weeks. The lemons are getting ripe, so I took a few to play with. Unless I find something better to do, I'm going to candy them. This recipe looks utterly amazing, but I'm not terribly confident in my sea urchin butchering skills.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've told you about finding "American Pancakes" in Budapest, right? What they call pancakes actually translate to crepes, so we wondered if American Pancakes might actually be pancakes....

No, but they were waffles - waffles topped with hot pudding, folded over, and served through a to go window! So yes, while hummus may be pushing it, I do believe you can put anything on a waffle.

Gen said...

Ooh, I love Eastern European 'pudding', I bet it's amazing on a waffle. American, not so much.