Thursday, December 4, 2008

Anorexia in Houston

Well, not really. Finals are at 6pm, and I studied all day, so it was hard to find time to eat. The good news is, I started the day with a filling meal from Cafe Brazil, so I didn't have to.

For brunch, I had "Eggs El Salvador". A poached egg, on top of chorizo, on top of a cheese pupusa, smothered in red AND green salsas, with a side of beans and another side of weird slaw stuff. And coffee.

It was pretty good. I've resisted ordering it on principle, because they consistently spell "pupusa" wrong on their blackboard. I'm sorry, a "papusa" is not food. They finally put it on their permanent menu, and managed to use spell-check to boot. They have really nice (allegedly local) chorizo, the eggs were properly poached (Brazil sometimes has issues with over-poaching), and the pupusa was pretty decent, if not exactly redolent with fresh masa and authentic achiclado cheese. I hate salad anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to discover how creepy the slaw was: limp and wilted, dressed with nothing but lemon juice. I like minimalism, but the slaw was kind of pathetic, and very, very sour. In any case, it helped me to stay awake and nourished well into the evening.

I'm too lazy to blog about my late dinner, but suffice it to say that Whole Foods' spinach, goat cheese, and tomato take n' bake pizzas aren't half bad. Shiner's "Holiday Cheer" beer is kind of weird (FRUITY!), but worth a taste. You know you live in the South when seasonal winter beer is PEACH and PECAN-flavored.

No comments: