Tuesday, December 2, 2008

(K)atfish n' grits at the Breakfast Klub

No, that's not a typo. For breakfast, I had deep-fried catfish, breakfast potatoes, grits with butter, a biscuit, and the best coffee I've found anywhere in Houston. It was all perfect. The only bad thing about the experience was their annoying propensity to spell everything with "k", which led me to wonder if their "bakon" was real bacon or kosher bacon (aka "baken").


The location was the Breakfast Klub, a soul-food inspired breakfast place on the edge of downtown. I always drive by on my way to school and wonder why there's a huge line snaking out the door EVERY morning. Now I know.


I'm not a huge fan of grits, but these were perfect- slightly eggy and dense, with a puddle of melted butter in the middle. I suspect there was more butter mixed in, because they were that rich and delicious. The potatoes could've been a little warmer, but the flavors were a great balance of sweet and savory. The biscuit was crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside, as was the fried catfish. I was expecting the catfish to be heavily seasoned, but it wasn't- just a nice cornmeal breading and maybe a little pepper.

The coffee was killer. I was somewhat skeptical, considering vacuum-sealed coffee carafes are usually a sign of coffee-as-afterthought, but no. I've whined for months at the lack of decent coffee in this town, but no more. Very strong, distinctively flavored, and a choice of four or five different varieties. I tried the house blend, which was almost too strong, and their Costa Rican, which was great.

I'll be back to try their signature "wings n' waffles".

No comments: