Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Iranian Leftovers and Sushi

For dinner, I had chicken leftovers from Kasra, my favorite Persian restaurant (thanks, Nima!), and some grocery-store sushi, with a glass of Spanish wine.

The Persian leftovers were fesenjan: chicken in a ground walnut and pomegranate sauce. It's sweet, savory, tart, and oily, with a gritty texture imparted by the nuts. I guess it sounds icky, and I'm told it's an acquired taste, but I love it.

There weren't many leftovers from Kasra, so I supplemented dinner with some store-bought sushi. Such sushi usually takes a hit for its origins, but this wasn't any worse than what you'd find at most sushi happy hours. I chose basic salmon rolls, eaten mostly alone (the accompanying soy sauce was unusually cloying, and the wasabi reeked of ammonia). The sushi itself was nicely cut, and was clearly fresh- no fishy taste or dried-out seaweed.


I also had a glass of ViƱa Borgia's 100% grenache, which was awesome. It's a relatively light, dry red with significant fruitiness. It's not as lean as a good Cotes du Rhone, and stylistically a bit different, but all the better for evening sipping. It was on sale at the local Whole Foods for just over $5, and is (like practically any wine from Spain) a wonderful steal.

No comments: