Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vietnamese Sardines at Home

I couldn't type yesterday, due to an unfortunate wine bottle accident. I managed to slice open the tip of my finger while removing the foil from a bottle of Merlot. I'm not going to talk about the Merlot meal, but suffice it to say that Whole Foods' house brand California Merlot is every bit as bad as the $5.99 price tag implies. My fault, for wondering if a cheap bottle of wine from CA can ever be good. Answer: NO. It was watery, with an alcoholic tang. It didn't even taste like Merlot- more like the worst Pinot Noir in the world. Sad, because WF's organic Chilean wine is just as cheap, and really good.
So, what else did I eat yesterday?

Sometimes, I'm a little too adventurous when I shop at the Chinese supermarket...


I think I learned my lesson.


I was intrigued by these because they purport to be an entire Vietnamese meal in a little can. They're also pretty good for you, and each can was about $1 (yes, I bought more than one- different flavors). Unfortunately, they look like cat food, and taste...musty. The rice is a little gummy, and clings together in an unappetizing mass upon exiting the can. The "sardines" are a dark brown color that makes me wonder what they really are. They tasted just ok, but the texture was mealy. This particular can was "spicy", and contained chili paste and keffir lime. The heat level was good, and it masked some of the sardiney weirdness. I can't imagine how bland some of the other flavors are, if this was barely tolerable. Maybe, one day, I will work up my courage and try the basil leaf flavored can.

No comments: