Sunday, January 25, 2009

Soup at Home


Exciting dramatic use of breadsticks, no?

For dinner, I had tomato soup, roasted potatoes, and some ciabatta bread, with a glass of red wine left over from a few nights back.
The potatoes were very creamy on the inside, and the bread was great to accompany the soup. I don't talk about soup often, because I don't ever eat it.

Soup is like salad to me- most of it is not very filling and not very interesting. I make exceptions for spinach and arugula salads, and for French onion soup (yummmmm). I especially hate tomato soup. It's a longstanding dislike, going back to early childhood. I blame Campbells' funny grainy texture and metallic taste for turning me off. Other brands are too creamy and gloppy. Tonight's soup, however, was really good- albeit still full of cream. It was a tomato-chipotle soup from Whole Foods' prepared foods section. I never would have considered it, but for the fact they were giving out samples last week while I shopped. I wasn't in a soup mood last week, and I stay away from cream-based soups regardless of how tasty they might be anyway...and then I got sick. Hello soup! It has a nice smoky heat that balances the tomatoey creaminess well. It made me feel a little better, and, perhaps more importantly, the dog loved my leftovers.

No comments: