Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Chicken at Home

For dinner, I had leftover chicken with peppers and a glass of malbec.



The chicken was from Trader Joe's, and labeled "chicken serenada". I had to go look at my photos again, because I misremembered it as "chicken sonesta" which sounded like a pharmaceutical to me- antidepressant? sleep aid? But no, it's serenada. Which merely sounds like something you'd find on Olive Garden's menu.

The day I bought this, I was feeling open-minded and bought a bunch of things I don't usually like or have only recently come to like- among them the green and red peppers in the serenada, and some Camembert (which I hadn't had in fifteen years but, to my dismay, still hate). The serenada came frozen, and consisted of two chicken breasts in sauce. I bought it mostly because I wondered what such a strange array of ingredients would taste like together. Alas, I just took out the trash, but I recall red and green peppers, onion, jalapeno, coconut milk, garlic, maybe some lemon juice? The package touted Caribbean-European fusion or some such nonsense.

I was decidedly unimpressed when I made it yesterday- although I now like red peppers, I still really hate green ones. Plus, the sauce was incredibly watery and flavorless. I drained off most of the sauce and piled the veggies on top of the remaining chicken breast to save. Upon reheating the whole mess tonight, I was very surprised at how much the flavors had improved. I still don't think I'd buy it again, but it wasn't bad. It's certainly easy.

In other news, I don't even have to spend $7 to find a good malbec at TJ's. Tonight, I am drinking the Fuerza 2009 malbec, $4.99. It doesn't have amazing structure or complexity, but it's nicely dry, a little spicy, with soft berry flavors. It tasted much better when I opened it yesterday; as of now, it's a decent table wine, although the alcohol is starting to overwhelm it a bit.

No comments: