Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pork and Rice Krispy Treats at Home

For lunch, I had leftovers from last night's pulled pork sandwich and some bad fake rice krispy treats.



The sandwich was from The Shaved Duck. So tasty. Also tasty? Their chili sampler (including a smoked duck white chili), their mac n' cheese, and their duck fat fries. That's what I had for dinner last night. I can't wait to go back and try the duck confit. Or maybe just have some more chili and fries...



The krispy treats were less successful. I was wandering down the cereal aisle at Schnuck's, looking for muesli (which no one in this city sells, apparently, not even Straub's, the posh grocery store), when I was struck with a bizarre krispy craving. I haven't had actual homemade ones in perhaps fifteen years. But I just couldn't bring myself to buy Rice Krispies. I hate those things- what was I going to do with the leftovers? So I decided to try making them with Kashi instead.



I was seriously underwhelmed by the final product. I'm not sure if it was the fact that the marshmallows were old, my cereal substitution, or the butter.

The butter, you ask? Sweet, innocent butter?



I am a huge label reader. I never buy a processed product without examining the ingredients in detail. I'm just weird like that. But I never imagined I should examine the butter label. I check that it is butter, not margarine, and whether it is salted or unsalted. But what could possibly be in butter, other than cream...maybe some salt or vitamin D?



Yeah. I'm still not quite sure what this means, only that the butter reeks of fake movie popcorn butter. Unfortunately, I bought two pounds of it because it was on sale and I've been baking a ton lately. Fine with me, Cabot's just lost my business forever. The least they could do is label it appropriately. Maybe some people want movie popcorn butter.

1 comment:

Karissa @ CardioFoodie said...

Kashi rice crispy treats=genius!