Monday, August 15, 2011

Pasta Leftovers with Tomato

So, I just spent a few weeks in Florida. And I may do a roundup post of odd Florida food someday (it's a retirement community, there was TONS), but not today.

Today for lunch, I had garlic linguini with butter, Aleppo pepper, and grape tomatoes.



It was extremely tasty, especially considering the pasta has been sitting in our freezer since mid-June's excursion to the Cheesetique. It tasted much more like shallot than garlic, which makes sense because garlic flavors mellow extensively upon freezing (did I mention my in-laws' huge stack of Cook's Illustrated, aka my primary means of entertainment for the last two weeks? I am FULL of food dorkage right now).

I also tried a strategy gleaned from CI in my saucing technique- after draining mostly cooked pasta, I returned it to the warm pot, added a pat of butter and some pasta water, and let it absorb by cooking over low heat for a minute. This created a much tastier sauce, because it coats the strands well, while also integrating into the pasta itself. A sprinkle of Aleppo pepper added color and a nice spicy counterpoint to the super-creamy sauce.

No comments: