Thursday, June 16, 2011

Completely Obsessed with the Cheese Shop Down the Street

For dinner, I had some red pepper pappardelle with garlic & olive oil, finocchiona, and a 60 Minute IPA to drink.


The meal was a fabulous spur-of-the-moment impulse I had while walking home from the (very far away) metro stop. I was annoyed, thinking about having to drive to the grocery store, when I did a double take and recalled that my friendly local cheese shop sells more than just cheese.


Wine. Cheese. Pasta. Beer. Charcuterie. Bread. Specialty jarred things. Chocolate. Is there a better business plan anywhere? I could move right in. They even sell my much-obsessed-over Iberico de Bellota. Oh, and the aroma in there? Saying it smells overwhelmingly of cheese sounds kind of gross, but it's actually the most delicious thing ever.

The pasta was pretty good, though the lemon fettuccine I had a few weeks ago was even better. I tossed it in a little grated garlic and olive oil, and shredded copious quantities of parm-reg on top.




The finocchiona was ok. I am still in denial/withdrawal from Salume Beddu's finocchiona. Theirs is so perfect, with a mellower, floral, more rustic flavor. I also prefer the thicker slices at Beddu. I know it's not a food mag, but believe Forbes when they say Beddu is the best cured meats place in the country. They are, and I fucking miss them.

Requisite cured meats rant over, I can now discuss the beer.

Dogfish Head's IPA is pretty worth the hype. Hailing originally from Denver, and never having lived east of the Mississippi, DH has always been one of those mythical things. Maybe I tried it at the GABF once, but I would've still hated IPAs back then. So it's new to me, and pretty decent- floral and slightly citrusy. It might be better with a bit more bite? Next time I'll have to try the 90 Minute.

2 comments:

Karissa @ CardioFoodie said...

My hubs likes that beer a lot if I remember right

Gen said...

Poor guy. It's weird that beer is still such a regional product, but I guess that's part of what makes it special. At least now you guys can get all the Colorado and West Coast stuff that never makes it out East :) And the GABF is highly recommended...