Saturday, February 28, 2009

Breakfast: Chocolate and Bacon

For breakfast, I ate chocolate. And bacon. Together. Along with some Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

I'd heard great things about Mo's Bacon Bar, a chocolate bar from Vosges featuring uncured bacon and smoked salt chunks, so I finally broke down and tried it. It wasn't bad- chocolate and bacon really can't be bad- but I could do better. The bacon was not crispy, and the flavors just weren't quite blended enough. The smoked salt chunks were a little disruptive and strange.

The other big problem is the price point. I paid about $2/oz, which is still cheaper than I found it online (and also cheaper than the jamon iberico de bellota I've been lusting after at Central Market, and will never purchase, at $99/pound), but seriously. Considering I can find three or four other really excellent chocolate bars at Whole Foods for far less than $2/oz, the bacon bar had better be perfect. And it's not, at least not for me.


I appreciate the trailer-trash cachet of bacon and chocolate, but I'd rather snack on something else at that price, or make some at home and adjust the recipe for my own preferences. I prefer very crispy bacon, and I like to dip my bacon in maple syrup. I think I'd like homemade crispy bacon maple chocolate much better.

No comments: