Sunday, February 8, 2009

Brunch LOVE in Houston

For brunch, we went to Baby Barnaby's cafe in Montrose. I am in love. It's very stylish, in a laid-back artsy way. I've been wanting these lithographs (scroll down to the last collection) for months now- Barnaby's has the whole set hanging around their dining room. They have the BEST restaurant logo I've ever seen, and their food is delicious. More amazing, their food is cheap. Bonus? They have one of those cool fresh orange juice machines that you can watch efficiently slice and squeeze the oranges. Sorry. I get a little excited about orange juice machines.

The service was so efficient, it was a little scary. We had one of those amazing waiters who knows what you need before you do. I haven't had a waiter like that in a long time, and I wanted to give him a huge hug by the time brunch was over. Their menu is not terribly long, but I wanted to try almost everything on it. I ended up with the "Green Eggs"- a scramble with spinach, cheese, and artichoke hearts. And probably loads of cream. Oh my god, was it good. It tasted like the best spinach-artichoke dip you've ever had. It also came with awesome chicken-apple sausage that tasted suspiciously porky and syrupy sweet. I'm the weirdo who likes syrup on my sausage, so this was a good thing. The potato chunks that came with it were nicely fried, but needed flavor. I added some Tabasco, and they were better. If Barnaby's would just toss them with garlic or spices, they'd be perfect too.

No comments: