Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oishii, the Middle-Aged Bachelor of Sushi.

For dinner, I went to Oishii's happy hour. I had pork gyoza, five-piece spicy tuna roll, and some ikura and hamachi sashimi, with a Kirin beer.

This was my second foray into happy hour there. I don't quite know what to say. I like the decor? It actually reminds me of my favorite Jewish deli in Denver, before they renovated- 70s brown booths, paneling, kitsch.

The food is not very good, but sometimes that's ok. Particularly with sushi, I think it's important to have a cheap sushi option for those times when you want raw fish that won't kill you, but don't particularly want to spend a lot of money on it. My feast came in at about $10. So the ikura and hamachi don't seem really fresh, and the pork gyoza tastes a little like hotdog. That's ok sometimes. I ate at one of those conveyor-belt sushi restaurants in Japan, and the sushi was just as bad there. On the good side, Oishii offers a ton of choices, including uni, which is hard to find and expensive. Theirs is clearly not the highest grade (I looked it up- higher grade is distinguished by firmer texture and color), but if you just want a little uni flavor and creaminess, it's fine. They also get kudos for putting two of my favorite things- uni and ikura- into one roll.

No comments: