Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Brunch at Home


I really hate breakfast, but I've been trying to eat huge ones because it's supposed to be good for you. We had some leftover smoked salmon from yesterday's bagel, and our eggs were about to go bad. Solution? Soft-scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and a side of oatmeal.

I cracked the eggs into my skillet, added a little salt and cream cheese, and stirred. The salt stems from the Cooks' Illustrated recommendation that salting prior to cooking leads to more tender eggs. The cream cheese gives it a creamy texture, without thinning the egg and making it tougher, which is what added milk tends to do. I cooked over relatively low heat, which takes longer but supposedly keeps the eggs from getting rubbery. Toward the end, I added the smoked salmon in chunks. It was tasty, if a little salty between the lox, cream cheese, and added salt. Low blood pressure runs in the family, so it's probably not a bad thing.

I made oatmeal to go with the eggs. I don't really believe in cooking rolled oats (they get too mushy), so I just mixed it with some milk and toasted almonds and pretended it was museli. The breakfast was filling without being too big, and went well with my Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

No comments: