Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bali BBQ Tofu from Whole Foods


For dinner, I had a lovely three-course meal prepped by Whole Foods and brought home by my loving husband.* The presentation was very exciting- three plastic compartments packed into a large Whole Foods paper bag, with a stapled-on label describing each menu item and the low, low price of $15.99.

The main dish was a "Bali BBQ Tofu". It looked like it aspired to be Sesame 'Chikin'- tofu in gooey sweet sauce, garnished with a few obligatory green veggies and sprinkled with raw sesame seeds (lazy Whole Foods). It actually tasted relatively good, though the tofu was a little -erm, squishy? It didn't appear to have been fried, but its texture was similar to inari. A little weird. But good.

The sides consisted of "Emerald Sesame Kale" and a cold soba salad (no cool name there). The kale was definitely the winner. Who doesn't love kale? I suppose it is an elitist salad veggie, as those things go, but it is also full of vitamins and fiber, and way more interesting than broccoli. It was dressed with ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and tamari. It was also sprinkled with more of those dastardly raw sesame seeds, but otherwise delicious. The soba salad was pretty bland- maybe all the seasonings migrated to the bottom, but I definitely didn't taste any green onions, garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, OR ginger. The ingredient list also boasts MORE raw sesame seeds, but they were thankfully absent from this dish.

*isn't my husband nice to help me edit my blog? What would I do without him? For the record, I returned the favor by taking my loving husband out for some Ben and Jerry's after dinner. It was tasty too.

No comments: