Saturday, September 13, 2008

Weirdness in Austin


For dinner, I had a chicken-stuffed chorizo with refried beans and a 'Texas lemonade'. God help me, I think this is the weirdest thing I've ever eaten.The location was Trudy's, a Mexican restaurant on the north side of Austin. It looked like an old-fashioned cantina from the outside, but the inside setup was reminiscent of a sketchy nightclub. The clientele included a good number of Guidos dressed in silly-looking designer t-shirts to show off their bulging biceps.

The chorizo was...interesting.It was called "chorizo stuffed chicken" on the menu, but when it came, I discovered it was really chicken-stuffed chorizo. It consisted of a chorizo sausage casing sliced open, filled with chicken and crumbled chorizo, breaded, deep-fried, and covered with velveeta-like cheese sauce. Oftentimes, inappropriate proteins stuffed inside other proteins can be good (George's Crazy Wings up in Waco, for example, or maybe turducken), so I was feeling optimistic. Unfortunately, it was a dish of mediocrity- the chorizo was not very good in terms of spiciness and texture, and the cheese sauce was truly frightening. I still ate it. I think the concept has potential, but not at Trudy's. It should also be noted that the menu contained several items labeled "flauquities". No matter that the word cannot be pronounced in Spanish, they are flauquities...I wasn't going near those things.

I'd heard tales about Tito's vodka from Austin, so I had to try it when I got the chance. Texas lemonade consisted of Tito's, fresh lemonade, and some muddled mint. I'd go back for the lemonade. Chorizo, not so much.

Today's graphic is not what I ate- it's to give you an idea of plate presentation at Trudy's. It also looks about as disturbing as what I ate. I tried to take a photo, because the chorizo-chicken was truly unique, but the nightclub atmosphere made it too dark.

No comments: