Monday, September 1, 2008

Skillet in Montrose


Today for brunch, I had two poached eggs, local chorizo, black beans, two kinds of salsa, and breakfast potatoes, all covered with mozzarella cheese. The location was Cafe Brazil, a tasty coffee shop/bar/restaurant in Montrose, the hipster gay neighborhood of Houston. It should also be noted that this Cafe Brazil is (as far as I know) NOT related to the Dallas mini-chain that also has awesome desserts and a hipster atmosphere. If I'm lucky, I'll make it up there one of these days and review it separately- the location in Deep Ellum holds a special place in my heart.

I love the Houston Cafe Brazil- it's like a converted garage full of art, with a nice (at least in January...) ivy-covered patio, and a slew of tasty desserts. No dessert with brunch, alas. Even without some early-morning sugar, Brazil makes some mean Mexican food. Beyond the skillet I had, they also have migas, a breakfast taco plate, and a pupusa plate. I'm a little concerned about the quality of their pupusas, considering their orthography ("papusa"???), but I did have their migas last week, and they were likewise tasty. My only complaint this morning was the eggs, which were poached into don't-sue-us-for-food-poisoning oblivion. Maybe the eggs were old and they were worried? Otherwise, very nice, especially with the two accompanying salsas: sassy green chile, and a sweeter roasted tomato one. Extra points for the piping hot corn tortillas and toasted cinnamon house blend coffee.

No comments: