Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Calling Jason Sheehan: Please Move to Houston!


This post is not about what I had for dinner. This post is about bad food writing.

The Houston Press food critic, Robb Walsh, is illiterate and I am sick of it. Apparently, he also writes cookbooks, but he must have a damn good editor to combat his poor writing skills. Seriously, check out this tangled paragraph from his latest review:

"The ginger-scallion preparation is a favorite with live seafood because of its simplicity. The idea is to savor the incredible freshness of the seafood that was swimming around a few minutes before you ate it. But unfortunately, East Wall messed up on the lobster, as far as I am concerned. It was cut up and stir-fried in oil with the green onions and chunks of ginger as usual, but then the chef coated the lobster pieces with cornstarch."

Okay, so it sounds like something I wrote. Badly. But I'm not getting paid to write about food, and he is. It makes my inner grammar nazi all twitchy just thinking about it. I realize that Denver is the most highly educated city in the country, and that perhaps Houstonians would be unable to grasp the subtle wit that is Jason Sheehan. Regardless, it's sad that the Houston Press is lowering the intellectual caliber of discourse in this country via its shitty food writing.

No comments: