Friday, June 3, 2011

Kitfo at Meaza

For dinner, I had an Ethiopian food coma. I ordered my standby, kitfo (ie, that disgusting raw crap I love) which came with some housemade cheese, and a side of lentils.


As you can see (bad photo, but that thing's a large platter), portion sizes were huge. This photo is actually from halfway through the meal, after we'd descended upon the huge pile of meat like this:


Meaza was the locale. I really wanted to go to Meskerem, my known known of DC-area Ethiopian. But the vagaries of living in a large urban area interceded- we figured a 20-minute walk to the metro, 20 minutes on the metro, a 10-minute walk on the other end, and god knows what kind of wait. So we were lazy Americans and drove five miles instead.

The kitfo was ok. I was excited to discover it was appropriately spicy, because it usually isn't spicy enough. And they included extra berbere and spicy sauce if I wanted more. But three bites later, I was depressed at the cloying seasonings. It was a heady mix of the usual berbere, a huge punch in the mouth of cardamom, and maybe even some pepper. Really intense. It had a pleasant burn, without being overwhelming, but the actual flavors were quite overwhelming. I especially like kitfo for the musty, green undertones (no clue which particular spice it is), but this stuff was cardamom-heavy and lacked balance. The restaurant was convenient and cute, and I'd go back, but would probably order something else. Jon's meal, some kind of beef-with-injera-tidbits thing, was delicious.

Clearly the food was pretty decent. I also brought home leftovers...

No comments: