Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lazy Yuppie Crack

For dinner, I had some mac n' cheese from Annie's.


I initially planned on eating it with an arugula salad, but laziness and a determination to consume as many delicious carbs as possible subverted the arugula. (Maybe next time jog after dinner?)



It was quite tasty- I miss the neon orange of Kraft just a little bit, but eating it makes me feel gross. There are very few foods that, due to the complete lack of any redeeming nutritive qualities, just *feel* disgusting to consume, but that's one of them for me. The Annie's is perfect because it is as healthy as mac n' cheese can get- 100% whole wheat, without a weird texture or flavor, and decent-tasting cheese powder that's readily traceable to actual cheese. It was a little salty, but whatever- it's not like I had to make a bechamel or anything. Sometimes lazy is ok.

To drink, I tried a glass of crappy California moscato, on the McDonald's theory of wine pairing, but in reverse- fancy mac n' cheese with crass commercial wine. I also thought the sweetness of the moscato would play off the slight sweetness of the mac n' cheese. It was okay. The moscato has a slight acidity, and isn't as overwhelmingly floral as ones I've had before. But the pairing wasn't great, and I'd probably rather buy another bottle of last week's white lambrusco over this.

No comments: